Thursday, June 14, 2012

I'm in Pohnpei!


Kasselelia! Greetings from Pohnpei!

I have been here in FSM since Friday/Saturday (time difference makes it challenging to explain) but it seems like a month. Days just last longer here. To say it is gorgeous here is a vast understatement. Every time I look around I find it impossible to believe I actually live here. The scenery seems literally unreal. 

The weather, though, is remarkable similar to what I am accustomed to in Tampa. The only real difference is there is no way for you to cool down. Whereas in America, you might be super sweaty and wildly uncomfortable, you can simply go inside or jump in your car and crank the air up. Here there is no escape. Thankfully fans work very well for sleeping, and it rains quite frequently—a cool, refreshing rain that calms and cleans everything. Speaking of rain, though, an unfortunate side effect is it results in an abundance (well, an extra abundance) of critters getting into my house.  My family laughed hysterically when a gecko fell from the ceiling onto my shoulder during dinner last night.

My family consists of my Nohno (mother) named Cristina (I know, our names!), my 13 year old brother named Kayman, and our dog Lucky. The first night with them was a tad awkward, but I think it is just because they were nervous, because things have definitely picked up. Kayman and I play together with his neighborhood friends when I get home every day, and my Nohno loves to gossip with me. Kayman  actually called me “sis” yesterday and it made my heart smile.

My bed is a wooden box-spring with a thin quilt laid on top, which doesn’t sound like much, but I have the best bed in the house, and surprisingly I have grown to find it quite comfortable. Also, my yoga mat adds an additional padding that I am thankful for. Essentially though, it makes little difference what my bed is like, because I would probably fall asleep standing up if I had to.  We have training classes from 8:00- 5:00 every day, which consist of us sitting and listening to a lecturer. And any time not spent in the meeting room is spent walking to and from the training center or to lunch, so essentially we are always hot. And being always hot translates quickly to complete and total exhaustion. It could also result from the constant  interruptions of my sleep throughout the night, either from torrential downpours that shake the house, groups of stray dogs barking all- throughout the night, or the trusty roosters that begin crowing at 4:00am (this “dawn” concept is lost to Micronesian roosters). Consequently,  I’m lucky if I can stay away until 9:00pm each night, which upsets Kayman greatly because he would rather me stay up and watch a movie with him or eat ice cream (or both).  

Overall, this experience so far has been nothing short of adventure. It still hasn’t really set in that this is in fact my real life. My M78 class is so wonderful, and I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people. If you’re interested, check out the arrival photos at http://www.facebook.com/USembassyKolonia, and if you love me, email me the group photos and my arrival, just saying. 

I love you all! Hope everyone is well! Write me a letter!

--Christy

4 comments:

  1. We just sent you the pictures <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! This is so exciting, friend! Can't wait to hear about all of your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, I just read your blog entries & love every word of it! I can just see/hear you saying all of it.

    Your description of the weather & the critters is just like Guam - lots of both! Yikes! The heat in that part of the world is so remarkable! I dropped off to sleep every night I was in Guam w/in minutes of laying down. It is truly exhausting, isn't it?!

    Will you reside w/ your family for the entire time you're there? Your sleeping situation doesn't sound too bad . . .it's amazing how much we take for granted in the U.S.!

    When will you start teaching? Send me a list of what you need, okay?

    I love you & your blog - Ang

    ReplyDelete