Friday, June 08, 2012

Hawaii

I made it to Hawaii!

Longest flight of my life (soon to be trumped tomorrow), but I am so excited to be here! I've met my team and they all seem wonderful. As my roommate Gretchen said, "How could they not be? This is the Peace Corps." We are from all over the country (my closest regional volunteers are Liz from Nashville and Mark from Orlando) and represent a large variety of experience, age, and pretty much everything else. I'm stoked to continue getting to know everyone.

I was able to identify two other volunteers in the airport prior to taking off from Atlanta, so it was nice to "know" some people on the flight. We grabbed another volunteer at baggage claim in Honolulu and then proceeded to the hotel, where an adorable and encouraging message was waiting for me at check in from Rachel and James. Love you guys. The afternoon was initially spent locating a bar (we were successful) and procuring immediate food. Then as more volunteers trickled in, we all sat around the pool with our feet in getting to know each other. We had registration and paperwork-fest, then I went out to "dinner" (around 1am Eastern Time) with a couple volunteers, then passed out at 9pm local time (3am Eastern).

Gretchen and I both woke up way before our intended wake up call, but we decided to catch up on emails and whatnot and head down early for breakfast before our sessions start. This should be an interesting day, and I'm hoping to learn a lot. But mostly it will be more time to get to know my team! :)

Hope all is well on the home front. I'll update again ASAP.

With love,

Christy


No comments:

Post a Comment