Friday, May 31, 2013

Camp GLOW

Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) is a worldwide Peace Corps initiative designed to educate and empower girls living in predominately male-oriented societies. Our Camp GLOW here on Pohnpei took place just last week for three days and two nights with 110 8th grade girls from all over the island. Yes, it was chaotic, and yes plenty went horribly and completely wrong, but yes indeed the girls had fun and accidently learned a lot. I think we can officially call it a success.
Preparing for and facilitating this camp made me realize how lucky we are in America to have such a comfort level with discussing issues such as puberty, hygiene, teen pregnancy, and STDs. Here, that is far from the case. For most girls, the first time they learn about menstruation is the first time they get their periods. And even then, the explanation from their mothers (if the girl even has the courage to ask) is simply that it happens once a month. No details. This is due in part to the fact that discussing menstruation is a social taboo, but also because it is likely that the mothers themselves honestly do not understand it themselves (probably because their mothers never told them…). It makes the awkward talks given to 5th graders around the nation as they put condoms on bananas not seem so unnecessary.
So I drew a picture of a uterus and ovaries (an artistic masterpiece, I might add), and we taught the girls about what is happening in their bodies. (We were going to have it translated, but couldn't because there literally are no words in Pohnpeian for the female sex organs, because there is just no scientific understanding of those body parts). We had speakers come in and teach the girls about STD’s and the importance of safe sex. We had sobering discussions about rape and sexual assault. We demonstrated, amidst generous laughter, proper personal hygiene. And we answered countless questions about pregnancy. These girls are full of questions and concerns, but never before had a venue in which to comfortably and safely articulate them. It was humbling to realize that I personally had a huge hand in these girls’ personal education. I also taught them the chicken dance, so obviously I made a giant impact.
And woven in between the teaching, the girls just got to be kids. They swam, played games and sports, made bracelets, and completed team building activities. There was even a dance competition and party that was met with huge enthusiasm. And six exhausted Peace Corps Volunteers and six exhausted but equally amazing local women who volunteered to help happily boarded the buses when it was time to go home. (I slept roughly 14 hours the following night.)
So I am happy to say I survived my first Camp GLOW, with roughly one thousands mosquito bites to show for it. And despite late busses, no-show presenters, pouring rain, cooking fiascos, and several acts of delinquency, the Camp was largely a success. My teammates and I learned a lot, and we are confident that next year’s Camp GLOW will be even better.
Here are the girls that I brought from my school and I after we got our camp shirts:
 




Stay well,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment