Friday, September 28, 2012

Care Packages

In her most recent letter, Debbie, aka Mama B called me out, “…you get lots of notes of ‘tell us what we can send you’ for supplies and I think you are ignoring us all.”  She’s absolutely right. I have been ignoring you all, but mostly because I had no idea what I needed, and also a little because I was reluctant to accept the generosity. Well, I’ve put aside my pride and thought hard about what my school can really use. So here are some things all you anxious supporters can send me:

Supplies for students:
-pencils (non-mechanical)
-extra erasers
-spiral notebooks
Supplies for teachers:

-chalk (yellow or white only, the colors are hard to see on the board when it’s raining outside and the sun’s not out)
-index cards of any and all sizes and colors
-paper clips
-yarn
-scotch tape
-masking tape
-permanent markers
-colored markers
-manila folders (they’re great for turning into fold-up board games)

Resources (for the daring):

-“I Can Read” books of any and all genres (I believe that’s what they’re called. They’re usually found in stores near the picture books, they’re designed to be a child’s first chapter book, with short chapters, limited vocabulary, and some pictures. I have students ranging from age 11-18 that might read these, so try to keep their age in mind when selecting books, even though their reading level is low, I don’t want them to feel like they’re reading a kid’s book.)
-books of kid-friendly poetry (for example Shel Silverstein or Jack Prelutsky, but any author will do)
-Reader’s Theatre books, or any books of short skits the students can read and act out
-any sort of teacher books about teaching grammar/ grammar games/ making grammar suck less, I have tricks for miles for teaching reading, but I’m at a loss for grammar instruction tips

Personal Items (because sometimes I’m selfish):
-personal hygiene items (bars of soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc.)
-single rolls of toilet paper
-envelopes (peel and seal)
-junk food of any kind (individual packs , resalable containers, or send ziplock baggies—lots of bugs!)
That’s all I can think of for now. FSM is on the US Postal system, so you use those flat rate priority boxes and stuff ‘em full! In case you’ve lost it, here’s my address again:
Christy Brinkworth, PCV
c/o Peace Corps Micronesia
PO Box 9
Kolonia, Pohnpei, FM 96941
Thank you in advanced for all your support! It means a lot to me that so many people have contacted me to try and send me stuff. I can definitely feel the love, even across the planet. I’m already getting excited about all the great materials I can create to use in the classroom with the supplies you will provide. My students will really appreciate the donated school supplies, and I will appreciate some soap. Actually, I think everyone would appreciate it if I had soap. Let’s be real.
As always, I hope everyone is happy and healthy, and enjoying their air conditioning.
--Christy
P.S. Just for clarification, I have soap. It’s just strange smelling soap from Japan that turns an interesting consistency when wet. I don’t want people thinking I’m over here not bathing. I do still attempt to retain some semblance of personal hygiene. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment